From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 12:01:36
1 On Sunday 01 Sep 2013 11:31:10 Grant wrote:
2
3 > > If you are still troubled by the proxy connection stalling problem, have
4 > > you tried transferring large files over the network using scp/sftp to
5 > > see if you are also getting similar symptoms? This would isolate it to
6 > > the application level (squid) or if the problem remains would point to
7 > > network configuration issues.
8 >
9 > How can I make this determination? I'm testing a 50MB scp over hotel
10 > wifi from my laptop to the remote proxy server now (with squid running
11 > in case it matters) and it seems OK. It oscillates constantly between
12 > 0.0KB/s and 80.0KB/s. As soon as I start browsing via the proxy
13 > server, the upload frequently goes to "stalled" but I suppose that
14 > could be a bandwidth issue. Browsing still stalls before very long.
15
16 The oscillation is related to buffering and is normal. If you are getting
17 longer stalling periods where no packets are being transmitted then there
18 could be a network problem. iptraf-ng, ntop and other tools can show if
19 packets have stopped moving in either direction.
20
21 From what you're describing the problem seems related to the squid
22 application, since scp is not seeing similar timeouts.
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick