From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 10:31:54
1 >> Thanks Mick. Can you generally rely on PMTUD to set the MTU optimally
2 >> or should this be experimented with when changing connections?
3 >
4 > Short answer: default Linux machine settings behave properly as network
5 > devices and acknowledge packets larger than their MTU value with the
6 > appropriate response.
7 >
8 > Longer answer:
9 >
10 > Communications between IPv4 end points use PMTUD by setting a Don't Fragment
11 > (DF) bit in the headers of the outgoing packet. If a router/server along the
12 > path has a smaller MTU, it will drop that packet and respond with an ICMP
13 > 'Destination Unreachable -- Fragmentation Needed' packet including its smaller
14 > MTU value. Upon receiving this smaller packet value the initiating host will
15 > dynamically reduce the size of the outgoing packets, until the packet arrives
16 > at its intended destination. PMTUD should always be switched on in any well
17 > behaving network implementation, but here's the rub: some network nodes,
18 > firewalls, servers are configured to never respond with *any* ICMP packets
19 > (because they think that this is a way to avoid DDoS problems and the like).
20 > Therefore, the initiating host keeps sending large packets never knowing that
21 > they are dropped on the way. This network problem is known as a PMTUD black
22 > hole and is explained better here:
23 >
24 > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2923
25 >
26 > Some MSWindows servers were notoriously bad at this, but I think that modern
27 > configurations have corrected their buggy ways. Linux machines have PMTUD
28 > switched on by default and behave properly.
29
30 Got it, thank you.
31
32 > If you are still troubled by the proxy connection stalling problem, have you
33 > tried transferring large files over the network using scp/sftp to see if you
34 > are also getting similar symptoms? This would isolate it to the application
35 > level (squid) or if the problem remains would point to network configuration
36 > issues.
37
38 How can I make this determination? I'm testing a 50MB scp over hotel
39 wifi from my laptop to the remote proxy server now (with squid running
40 in case it matters) and it seems OK. It oscillates constantly between
41 0.0KB/s and 80.0KB/s. As soon as I start browsing via the proxy
42 server, the upload frequently goes to "stalled" but I suppose that
43 could be a bandwidth issue. Browsing still stalls before very long.
44
45 - Grant