From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:34:36
1 >> >> OK, does PMTUD lower the outgoing packet size on my system due to the
2 >> >> hotel router's lower MTU or does the hotel router itself fragment my
3 >> >> 1500 byte packets in order to send them out? Just curious.
4 >> >
5 >> > If you are sending out packets with the DF bit set no fragmentation will
6 >> > take place - the packet is dropped and an appropriate message is
7 >> > returned to sender. Otherwise the router will fragment them and send
8 >> > them on to the recipient address.
9 >>
10 >> Shouldn't PMTUD change my MTU based on the hotel router's lower MTU?
11 >
12 > Yes, it should. At the start of the connection the sender sends DF in the
13 > header to find out what is the MRU that the network nodes will support. Then
14 > sends packets of the appropriate size so that they get through with no
15 > fragmentation. This is the optimal scenario.
16 >
17 > Now, imagine another scenario where some router/firewall/server does not send
18 > back the correct ICMP packet with its required MRU, or even worse it sends
19 > back a 1500 (full ethernet) size with DF set, or also drops fragments ... This
20 > reminds me of MSN IM which was a particularly bad implementation back when.
21 >
22 > The sender may eventually try a smaller packet, after initially increasing the
23 > time it waits for a response, and you could well get something through 30
24 > seconds later, or even give up and time out.
25
26 Here's my layout:
27
28 laptop+shorewall (MTU:1500) -> hotel router (MTU:?) -> internet ->
29 Westell modem/router (MTU:1492) -> desktop+shorewall (MTU:1500)
30
31 Shouldn't PMTUD change the desktop's MTU to 1492? Is the fact that it
32 doesn't due to a flaw in the Westell's operation? Should I manually
33 change the desktop's MTU to 1492 along with that of other systems on
34 its LAN?
35
36 > If you are using Shorewall at your remote server I would expect it to behave
37 > properly and return the correct ICMP packet when it receives a DF. However, I
38 > am not familiar with the Shorewall properties and settings, so if you suspect
39 > this as the cause of your problem it would be better if you look into it
40 > properly.
41
42 So I'm sure I understand, this doesn't apply if ICMP is dropped at the Westell?
43
44 - Grant