From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 22:30:02
1 On Monday 02 Sep 2013 19:34:25 Grant wrote:
2
3 > Here's my layout:
4 >
5 > laptop+shorewall (MTU:1500) -> hotel router (MTU:?) -> internet ->
6 > Westell modem/router (MTU:1492) -> desktop+shorewall (MTU:1500)
7 >
8 > Shouldn't PMTUD change the desktop's MTU to 1492?
9
10 Your desktop's PMTUD will get an ICMP response from Westell as it tries to
11 traverse through it and it will adjust the outgoing packet size accordingly.
12
13 Ditto with your laptop, when it tries to establish a connection with your
14 desktop.
17 > Is the fact that it
18 > doesn't due to a flaw in the Westell's operation? Should I manually
19 > change the desktop's MTU to 1492 along with that of other systems on
20 > its LAN?
21
22 It won't harm if you do. However, we don't know for a *fact* that the Westell
23 is not returning the appropriate ICMP packets (Type 3, Code 4) to your laptop,
24 or your desktop.
25
26 You can use tcpdump to see what's being sent back and forth.
29 > > If you are using Shorewall at your remote server I would expect it to
30 > > behave properly and return the correct ICMP packet when it receives a
31 > > DF. However, I am not familiar with the Shorewall properties and
32 > > settings, so if you suspect this as the cause of your problem it would
33 > > be better if you look into it properly.
34 >
35 > So I'm sure I understand, this doesn't apply if ICMP is dropped at the
36 > Westell?
37
38 ICMP echo request may be dropped by Westell's firewall, but ICMP Type 3, Code
39 4 could well be returned when a TCP connection is being initiated by your
40 laptop. I don't know how ham-fisted Westell's firewall settings are.
41
42 Meanwhile, stating the obvious, have you tried using the desktop squid proxy
43 while you are inside your LAN with the same laptop to see if the problem
44 remains?
47 Regards,
48 Mick