From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PMTUD
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 12:52:26
1 >> Here's my layout:
2 >>
3 >> laptop+shorewall (MTU:1500) -> hotel router (MTU:?) -> internet ->
4 >> Westell modem/router (MTU:1492) -> desktop+shorewall (MTU:1500)
5 >>
6 >> Shouldn't PMTUD change the desktop's MTU to 1492?
7 >
8 > Your desktop's PMTUD will get an ICMP response from Westell as it tries to
9 > traverse through it and it will adjust the outgoing packet size accordingly.
10 >
11 > Ditto with your laptop, when it tries to establish a connection with your
12 > desktop.
15 >> Is the fact that it
16 >> doesn't due to a flaw in the Westell's operation? Should I manually
17 >> change the desktop's MTU to 1492 along with that of other systems on
18 >> its LAN?
19 >
20 > It won't harm if you do. However, we don't know for a *fact* that the Westell
21 > is not returning the appropriate ICMP packets (Type 3, Code 4) to your laptop,
22 > or your desktop.
23 >
24 > You can use tcpdump to see what's being sent back and forth.
25
26 Ah, so PMTUD doesn't actually change the setting reported by ifconfig.
27 It's done on-the-fly.
28
29 >> > If you are using Shorewall at your remote server I would expect it to
30 >> > behave properly and return the correct ICMP packet when it receives a
31 >> > DF. However, I am not familiar with the Shorewall properties and
32 >> > settings, so if you suspect this as the cause of your problem it would
33 >> > be better if you look into it properly.
34 >>
35 >> So I'm sure I understand, this doesn't apply if ICMP is dropped at the
36 >> Westell?
37 >
38 > ICMP echo request may be dropped by Westell's firewall, but ICMP Type 3, Code
39 > 4 could well be returned when a TCP connection is being initiated by your
40 > laptop. I don't know how ham-fisted Westell's firewall settings are.
41 >
42 > Meanwhile, stating the obvious, have you tried using the desktop squid proxy
43 > while you are inside your LAN with the same laptop to see if the problem
44 > remains?
45
46 That's a fine idea and I will do so once I get back there. Thanks for
47 the education Mick. :)
48
49 - Grant