From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome: No sound - "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" (was: rhythmbox plays silently)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:14:00
1 I wrote:
2
3 > Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
5 > > <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
6
7 > There's another problem: When I start gnome-volume-control, I get:
8 >
9 > No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found
10 >
11 > Hmm...
12 [...]
13 > > Also does
14 > > rhythmbox use alsa or oss?
15 >
16 > I suppose alsa - I set USE=-oss in make.conf. How do I check?
17 > gst-plugins-alsa is NOT installed.
18
19 That's it!
20
21 On my new system, I'm using Xfce; on other systems I used to use
22 Gnome. I suppose Gnome pulls in gst-plugins-meta which may pull in
23 gst-plugins-alsa. Xfce doesn't do that (of course).
24
25 After installing gst-plugins-meta (and gst-plugins-alsa), I'm able
26 to hear something.
27
28 Nice!
29
30 Andrey, thanks for your suggestions - they made me solve the problem.
31
32 Have a nice evening,
33 Michael
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list