From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gnome: No sound - "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" (was: rhythmbox plays silently)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:05:16
1 Hello.
2
3 Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Michael Schmarck
7 > <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> wrote:
8 > > Good evening!
9 > >
10 > > I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
11 > > my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
12 > > progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
13 > > But I hear nothing at all :/
14 > >
15 > > Any ideas about why that's so?
16 > >
17 > > The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
18 > > in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
19 > > like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
20 > > that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
21 > > I tried.
22 > >
23 > > Well - what to do?
24 > >
25 > > Thanks,
26 > > Michael
27 > >
28 > Do you play sound with something else before running rhythmbox?
29
30 I don't quite understand - as I said, when I use something else,
31 like Mplayer, Xine or Amarok, I hear something. With Rhythmbox,
32 and also Totem as I just noticed, I hear nothing.
33
34 There's another problem: When I start gnome-volume-control, I get:
35
36 No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found
37
38 Hmm...
39
40 > What
41 > happens when you run rhythmbox after restarting alsa?
42
43 You mean after doing /etc/init.d/alsasound restart? Nothing
44 special happens - still beautiful silence :)
45
46 > Also does
47 > rhythmbox use alsa or oss?
48
49 I suppose alsa - I set USE=-oss in make.conf. How do I check?
50 gst-plugins-alsa is NOT installed.
51
52 Thanks so far,
53 Michael