From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wtf do all the Layout Options mean in gnome keyboard preferences?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:47:23
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Sunday 25 June 2006 13:27, Robert Persson wrote:
3 >
4 >> I want to be able to use an international keyboard layout in X.
5 >> Something like the Apple U.S. layout would be really nice, but the U.S.
6 >> English Alternative International would do me fine for the moment.
9 > I have no experience with gnome so can't help you there. To get the us
10 > international keryborad layout now you should be able to do:
11 >
12 > # setxkbmap us_intl
13 >
14 > To get it permanently you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and find the XkbLayout
15 > Option in the InputDevice section that relates to your keyboard:
16 >
17 > Section "InputDevice"
18 > Identifier "???"
19 > Driver "kbd"
20 > [...]
21 > Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
22 > EndSection
25 Thanks Bo.
26
27 The problem I have is not in choosing us_intl, which is quite easy in
28 gnome. The problem is that I don't know how to get it so that when I
29 press either the alt or the win key I get all those extra characters.
30 There's a lot of terminology I don't understand. Am I trying to "switch
31 group" or am I trying to "choose the third level"? Both of these terms
32 sound like what I am trying to do, but which is which? Added to that is
33 all this business about alt being set or not being set to meta and so
34 on. I don't really have a clue when alt is actually alt and when it is
35 meta, just as I don't understand the difference between alt and option
36 when I am trying to run a remote linux session in Apple X11. So I end up
37 twiddling with the settings, trying one thing and then another, but I
38 haven't yet managed to get to those extra characters. Compare this to
39 macos, even very ancient version of it, where you get a very rich
40 keyboard layout out of the box. Not only umlauts, but bullets, ellipses
41 and the 2nd letter of the Danish alphabet are available at the press of
42 the alt/option key.
43
44 The second issue is that the US international keyboard, which I am
45 planning to use, isn't exactly ideal. It was designed for an ordinary
46 typewriter, where diareses and double quotes, as well as carets and
47 circumflexes, are identical. But it is the only extended US keyboard
48 readily available for X, which is the only reason I even consider using
49 it. However it is actually unusable on a desktop without the extra
50 modifier keys working because, where the standard US keyboard has
51 quotes, carets and tildes, this one only has dead keys.
52
53 And even when the modifiers are working, this layout is unnecessarily
54 awkward to use for someone writing predominantly in English because
55 frequently used characters, such as quotes, are harder to type than the
56 foreign language characters that are only used occasionally. As I said,
57 the Apple keyboard layouts are vastly superior. Unfortunately my
58 attempts to create a custom, Apple-like layout (when I was using KDE)
59 didn't work. I just don't understand xkb well enough.
60 --
61 Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list