From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wtf do all the Layout Options mean in gnome keyboard preferences?
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 00:29:12
1 On Monday 26 June 2006 01:36, Robert Persson wrote:
2 > The problem is that I don't know how to get it so that when I
3 > press either the alt or the win key I get all those extra characters.
4
5 I don't think that pressing alt, win or meta should provide any extra
6 characters with the us international keyboard layout.
7
8 > Added to that is all this business about alt being set or not being set to
9 > meta and so on.
10
11 I don't think that is relevant to the layout. Only to functionality in certain
12 programs like e.g. emacs as you mentioned. Many others too.
13
14 > Compare this to macos, even very ancient version of it, where you get a very
15 > rich keyboard layout out of the box.
16
17 I wouldn't know...
18
19 > Not only umlauts, but bullets, ellipses and the 2nd letter of the Danish
20 > alphabet are available at the press of the alt/option key.
21
22 The second letter in the danish alphabet is b... ;)
23
24 > The second issue is that the US international keyboard, which I am
25 > planning to use, isn't exactly ideal. It was designed for an ordinary
26 > typewriter, where diareses and double quotes, as well as carets and
27 > circumflexes, are identical.
28
29 Are you absolutely sure they are identical? When I press a dead key once
30 nothing happens. The following press be it the say key, space or some vowel
31 determines what it becomes...
32
33 > But it is the only extended US keyboard readily available for X, which is
34 > the only reason I even consider using it. However it is actually unusable on
35 > a desktop without the extra modifier keys working because, where the
36 > standard US keyboard has quotes, carets and tildes, this one only has dead
37 > keys.
38
39 You should not need modifier keys for that. Just AltGr (the right alt key on
40 my keyboard).
41
42 > As I said, the Apple keyboard layouts are vastly superior. Unfortunately my
43 > attempts to create a custom, Apple-like layout (when I was using KDE)
44 > didn't work. I just don't understand xkb well enough.
45
46 Does [1] help you?
47
48 [1] http://hansmi.ch/articles/apple-keyboard-with-linux