From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wtf do all the Layout Options mean in gnome keyboard preferences?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:07:35
1 Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.
2
3 My mistake was to assume that all changes in gnome keyboard preferences
4 took effect immediately. That's why nothing seemed to work. I now have
5 the win keys as 3rd level choosers and I can type
6 åååååååååååååååååååååååååååååååååååååå to my heart's content. I was also
7 unaware that you could use the space key after a deadkey, which is a lot
8 easier than a vulcan nerve pinch. Anyway, thanks very much for your
9 help, Bo.
10
11 One further question I have is, does anyone know a good guide to
12 customising a keyboard layout and installing it properly so that X will
13 recognise it? The guide I have tried so far didn't work for me. I simply
14 want to add a few characters (e.g. em_dash) to the empty spaces on the
15 US international keyboard.
16
17 btw, the mac keyboard article Bo suggested was about how to make mac
18 modifier keys useful under linux and not about keyboard layouts as such.
19
20 Many thanks,
21 Robert
22