From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge firefox-52.4.0 compile failure
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 21:53:51
1 On 2017-10-08, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Usually what happens is it will be corrupted in RAM after being
4 > verified on disk, and faulty results will be saved to disk from RAM. A
5 > user on the forums recently had this issue compiling dev-lang/vala,
6 > and I have had related issues.
7
8 I've had failing RAM corrupt files and cause compile failures (and
9 various other odd problems). But, the exact symptoms tend to be pretty
10 random. The chances are infinitesmal that a HW problem would corrupt
11 the download (or the compile itself) in an identical manner a second
12 time.
13
14 > As for what the error means: definitions are missing, which from an
15 > end-user perspective is not really a fixable issue.
16
17 Sometimes there are external library version/use-flag requirements
18 that don't make it into an ebuild file correctly. But, all the other
19 cases I've run into like that yielded plenty of Google hits on the
20 error messages.
21
22 > I would rerun the compilation with -j1 if you have not already done
23 > so.
24
25 I'm going to try that as soon as chromium finishes building.
26
27 > If other people can build the package then portage may be munging the
28 > files in some way, but these issues are hard to diagnose.
31 Grant