From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge firefox-52.4.0 compile failure
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 00:14:08
1 On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2017-10-08, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Usually what happens is it will be corrupted in RAM after being
5 >> verified on disk, and faulty results will be saved to disk from RAM. A
6 >> user on the forums recently had this issue compiling dev-lang/vala,
7 >> and I have had related issues.
8 >
9 > I've had failing RAM corrupt files and cause compile failures (and
10 > various other odd problems). But, the exact symptoms tend to be pretty
11 > random. The chances are infinitesmal that a HW problem would corrupt
12 > the download (or the compile itself) in an identical manner a second
13 > time.
16 Right, redownloading or rerunning the compilation usually fixes such
17 issues. At the same time, I have seen people hit bad areas of RAM
18 repeatedly and have it look like other errors.
19
20 >> As for what the error means: definitions are missing, which from an
21 >> end-user perspective is not really a fixable issue.
22 >
23 > Sometimes there are external library version/use-flag requirements
24 > that don't make it into an ebuild file correctly. But, all the other
25 > cases I've run into like that yielded plenty of Google hits on the
26 > error messages.
29 In this case the namespace of the missing declaration is inside
30 Mozilla's, e.g. it is part of Firefox or a closely bundled library.
31
32 Cheers,
33 R0b0t1