From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 02:30:04
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > In <news:469D18A7.9090001@××××××.org>,
3 > Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Remember that the GPL has always been about all the users NOT just
8 >>> the developers/distributors -- "adapt it to your needs" is not
9 >>> allowed when it restricts other users' freedoms.
10 >> Very few GPL proponents are willing to make this (rather obviously
11 >> true) statement; I'm glad some are. But to be more accurate, one
12 >> should say that the GPL has always been about guaranteeing users
13 >> freedoms *at the expense of* the developer's freedoms.
14 >
15 > Perhaps you mean downstream developers who accept the GPL granted by
16 > upstream? The original developers can do whatever they like with their
17 > code, since they don't need to license it from anyone.
18
19 Yes, I wasn't very clear in my original statement. I was
20 referring to developers who choose to use code licensed
21 under a GPL or similar license. The GPL removes their
22 freedoms, in order to guarantee other freedoms for the bulk
23 of the public. I've spoken with many people who balk at
24 stating things this way, but it's simple truth. It's really
25 a reasonable compromise, IMO. The "downstream" developers
26 are making the choice to give up their freedoms by
27 using/modifying the code to begin with.
31 -- Mike
32
33 Still using IE? Get Firefox!
34 http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=6492&t=1