From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PANIC !!!!
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:55:06
1 On Saturday 22 October 2005 14:26, Eddie Mihalow Jr wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 22 October 2005 02:37, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
4 > >>Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
5 > >>>On Friday 21 October 2005 21:11, Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
6 > >>>>My hole linux box has crashed !!!!
7 > >>>>I made a system update yesterday with emerge -Du world....
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>>it update my apache, mantis, nagios, bind, mysql..... today my hole
10 > >>>>system is against me....
11 > >>>>I think in reinstall the full system .... has any one got a better
12 > >>>>idea, my backups are unavailable now ....
13 > >>>
14 > >>>what do you mean 'crashed'?
15 > >>>
16 > >>>does revdep-rebuilt still works?
17 > >>>
18 > >>>but at least now you know why you should not use --deep.
19 > >>
20 > >>Deep is almost imprescindible when upgrading. You have to upgrade
21 > >>dependencies too, or maybe your new and fresh app is built onto old
22 > >>libraries that can make it crash, or just going slower.
23 > >
24 > > --deep is totally superflous.
25 > > When something needs the latest libs, it will pull them in anyway.
26 > > So there is no need to install the latest version. Nobody said, that the
27 > > latest are always the fastest too.
28 > >
29 > > When nothing needs the latest stuff, why change the dependency of maybe
30 > > douzends of apps, only to have the latest version?
31 > >
32 > > A lot of times, this breaks stuff. Or does thinks make slower. Or make
33 > > some apps crashy&instabil.
34 > > Some apps even need a very small spectrum of versions - any change in the
35 > > libs, and boom, you have a memory-leaking crashy hog. Or at least
36 > > something that does not work like it should (like xine or mplayer, when
37 > > you update ffmpeg and transcode behind their backs).
38 > >
39 > > --deep does not solve problems, it generates them.
40 >
41 > Sorry, but I don't agree with this. I use -deep every day and have yet
42 > to have any of
43 > these so-called problems Mr. Volker is espousing. I have mplayer and
44 > xine and they both work fine.
45 > I wonder how you came to this conclusion-was it direct experience, or
46 > just banal thinking?
47 > Regards,
48
49 direct experience.
50 I have seen xine and mplayer break multiple times or KDE loosing its themes,
51 because of qt updates or wesnoth. And that are the ones I remember without to
52 much brain work.
53 That is why I am healed from --deep updates
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list