From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 07:58:09
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday, December 30, 2016 12:24:36 AM CET Dale wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> As for the specs:
6 >>>
7 >>> - 8 core CPU: nice
8 >> Makes me drool a bit here. I want a 8 core CPU. The only downside,
9 >> gkrellm won't have enough screen to show each core separately. That's a
10 >> problem there. lol It already takes up the whole right side on one
11 >> desktop. I guess I could make the thing shorter to fit them all in.
12 > I know what you mean. What I miss is an option to have gkrellm on 1 side of
13 > the screen and when I maximize a window, that doesn't hide gkrellm.
14 > I limited some of the sensors to be able to fit all 12 virtual cores.
15 > (Or if there is, where do I set it)
16
17 I wish we could divide it in half. Have some sensors on the left side
18 and some on the right. Dang, 12 cores. That does take up a lot of
19 room. To have it all show up, one would about have to turn their
20 monitor on its side and make it tall instead of wide.
24 >>> - mSATA SSD: Make sure it fits your mainboard. NVMe is faster, but also
25 >>> more expensive.
26 >>> The Samsung EVO series are good for normal work-loads. The performance
27 >>> does
28 >>> tend to drop when the write-cache starts to fill up. With multiple VMs
29 >>> using disk and swap, that can happen quicker then you think. Check your
30 >>> requirements.
31 >>>
32 >>> - memory: Personally, I would increase this to 32GB with the fastest spec
33 >>> that matches the CPU and mainboard. It helps a lot, especially with
34 >>> Virtualbox. What isn't used by applications/VMs will be available for
35 >>> disk-cache.
36 >> Same here. Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs does make it
37 >> measurably faster. Bad thing is, if Firefox and LibreO needs to update
38 >> at the same time, I have to go back to spinning rust or do them by
39 >> themselves. It runs out of memory pretty fast.
40 > I have 32GB in my desktop and I can run a "emerge -e @world" without issues
41 > and portages work directory is on tmpfs.
42 > And that is with the following parallel-settings in make.conf:
43 > MAKEOPTS="--jobs 12 --load-average 14"
44 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs 12 --load-average 14"
45 > (Using a 6-core i7)
46 >
47 > --
48 > Joost
51 My settings:
52
53 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j8
54 --quiet-build=n -1"
55
56 I forgot I had that set to 8 jobs. Wonder why I did that? Given your
57 experience, I want to get more ram and more cores.
58
59 Dale
60