From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 07:19:02
1 On Friday, December 30, 2016 12:24:36 AM CET Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 > > As for the specs:
5 > >
6 > > - 8 core CPU: nice
7 >
8 > Makes me drool a bit here. I want a 8 core CPU. The only downside,
9 > gkrellm won't have enough screen to show each core separately. That's a
10 > problem there. lol It already takes up the whole right side on one
11 > desktop. I guess I could make the thing shorter to fit them all in.
12
13 I know what you mean. What I miss is an option to have gkrellm on 1 side of
14 the screen and when I maximize a window, that doesn't hide gkrellm.
15 I limited some of the sensors to be able to fit all 12 virtual cores.
16 (Or if there is, where do I set it)
17
18 > > - mSATA SSD: Make sure it fits your mainboard. NVMe is faster, but also
19 > > more expensive.
20 > > The Samsung EVO series are good for normal work-loads. The performance
21 > > does
22 > > tend to drop when the write-cache starts to fill up. With multiple VMs
23 > > using disk and swap, that can happen quicker then you think. Check your
24 > > requirements.
25 > >
26 > > - memory: Personally, I would increase this to 32GB with the fastest spec
27 > > that matches the CPU and mainboard. It helps a lot, especially with
28 > > Virtualbox. What isn't used by applications/VMs will be available for
29 > > disk-cache.
30 > Same here. Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs does make it
31 > measurably faster. Bad thing is, if Firefox and LibreO needs to update
32 > at the same time, I have to go back to spinning rust or do them by
33 > themselves. It runs out of memory pretty fast.
34
35 I have 32GB in my desktop and I can run a "emerge -e @world" without issues
36 and portages work directory is on tmpfs.
37 And that is with the following parallel-settings in make.conf:
38 MAKEOPTS="--jobs 12 --load-average 14"
39 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs 12 --load-average 14"
40 (Using a 6-core i7)
43 Joost