From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 06:24:57
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:36:43 PM CET thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 12/29/2016 08:06 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>>> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
6 >>>> Asterisk, Hylafax etc. (nothing graphic intensive).
7 >>>>
8 >>>> - IN WIN BL631 Low Profile Micro ATX Case w/ 300W Power Supply,
9 >>>> - AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache
10 >>>> - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 w/ DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan
11 >>>> - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
12 >>>> - Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA Solid State Drive, 1TB
13 >>>> - Asus GeForce GT 720 Silent CSM, 2GB, PCI-E w/ D-Sub VGA, DVI, HDMI
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Will I have any problems installing Gentoo on this configuration, eg.
16 >>>> with Video Card etc.?
17 >>>> Do I need more RAM?
18 >>> I built a rig a while back and have 16GBs of memory. I also have
19 >>> portage's work directory on tmpfs. There are times when I wish I had
20 >>> more memory. I'm planning to upgrade to 24GBs and eventually, 32GBs.
21 >>> I'm not sure what your board can hold but may want to think about future
22 >>> upgrades. I run KDE here, there are times where I use a lot of memory.
23 >>> I'm using ~8GBs as I type.
24 >>>
25 >>> I've been using a Gigabyte board for a long while. I'm happy with it.
26 >>> I actually still have a 2nd board that I upgraded from. It was a first
27 >>> step to upgrade memory and such. I think I had to change the IOMMU
28 >>> setting in the BIOS. I think that was the name of it. It's something
29 >>> like that. I think I had to add something to the kernel boot line too
30 >>> on that. Let me know if you need it, I'll go dig.
31 >>>
32 >>> One other thing, I have a UPS that shows what amount of power my system
33 >>> is using. It shows ~150 watts. It will jump to ~190 when compiling
34 >>> heavily. You may want to make sure that P/S is well made. I've never
35 >>> used a P/S that came with a case. Generally, they are cheaply made.
36 >>> May want to make sure of that before you use it. Nothing worse than a
37 >>> crappy P/S.
38 >>>
39 >>> Dale
40 >>>
41 >>> :-) :-)
42 >> Thank you for the input Dale.
43 >> Yes, Power Supply is a good point. I think I'll change the case and
44 >> select different PS. Any hints as to which brand is good?
45 >>
46 >> I think they are all made in China :-/
47 >>
48 >> Thelma
49 > I agree with Dale.
50 >
51 > Make sure you have a good P/S. As for which are good, check reviews online, I
52 > am sure Dale and others know which sites are reliable.
53 >
54 > "Made in China" <> "Made in China", I know of Chinese manufacturers that make
55 > really good and reliable products. I also know some that simply don't care.
56 > In this case, replace Chinese with American, Dutch, German,.... and you end up
57 > with the same statement which will also be true.
58
59 The site I just posted a link to used to take points away for Chinese
60 made caps and even some USA made ones I think. They really liked
61 Japanese made caps in P/Ss. About a year or so ago, they started
62 allowing some Chinese made caps. Some of them make some really good
63 long life caps. What you say is so true. It's just like hard drives.
64 If you ask, there will always be a few that will say brand X is junk
65 because I had one that failed and I lost data, and it killed my kids etc
66 etc. I've lost a couple Western Digital drives myself but I'd still buy
67 one. Both of them warned me using the S.M.A.R.T. utils that they were
68 failing. Hey, if it's going to fail, at least let me have some warning
69 so that I can save my stuff. I can be forgiving on the rest. Same with
70 Samsung. I got a 3TB Samsung that is a nifty door stop. :/
71
72 One thing about that site I linked to, if it has caps in it that are
73 questionable, they say so. They also disassemble the units so that you
74 can see how they are built. You don't have to take the sites word for
75 what is in there. You can look for yourself.
79 > As for the specs:
80 >
81 > - 8 core CPU: nice
82
83 Makes me drool a bit here. I want a 8 core CPU. The only downside,
84 gkrellm won't have enough screen to show each core separately. That's a
85 problem there. lol It already takes up the whole right side on one
86 desktop. I guess I could make the thing shorter to fit them all in.
90 > - mSATA SSD: Make sure it fits your mainboard. NVMe is faster, but also more
91 > expensive.
92 > The Samsung EVO series are good for normal work-loads. The performance does
93 > tend to drop when the write-cache starts to fill up. With multiple VMs using
94 > disk and swap, that can happen quicker then you think. Check your
95 > requirements.
96 >
97 > - memory: Personally, I would increase this to 32GB with the fastest spec that
98 > matches the CPU and mainboard. It helps a lot, especially with Virtualbox.
99 > What isn't used by applications/VMs will be available for disk-cache.
100
101 Same here. Putting portage's work directory on tmpfs does make it
102 measurably faster. Bad thing is, if Firefox and LibreO needs to update
103 at the same time, I have to go back to spinning rust or do them by
104 themselves. It runs out of memory pretty fast.
108 > - Graphics: Can't really comment, for normal desktop effects, this will be
109 > more than enough. For average games, the same. For high-end games, you'd be
110 > speccing your computer differently anyway :)
111 >
112 > I also would consider, if you're using VMs, a large (size) spinning disk to
113 > store VM templates and ISO-images. These are not used often, but this way you
114 > can keep the SSD available for VMs, installed software and your documents.
115 > Laptop harddrives are generally quite power efficient.
116 >
117 > --
118 > Joost
121 Dale