From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 01:21:53
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> One thing I have noticed about hard drives in my experience. When you
6 >> plug that puppy in and power it up, let it run for a good long while.
7 >> Overnight is good, a few days is even better, a week or more is even
8 >> better still from the mechanical point of view. I remember this from
9 >> when I rebuilt my Moms old motor in her car years ago. It said in the
10 >> book and from several mechanics, once you crank it, run it for at least
11 >> 30 minutes and at different rpms. The longer the better. It should get
12 >> to its normal temperature before even thinking about cutting it off. Do
13 >> NOT cut the engine off unless it is really serious. The first few
14 >> minutes that a motor runs is crucial. If you start it and just run it a
15 >> couple minutes, it won't ever be the same. I was also told that driving
16 >> it is really good.
17 >>
18 >> I also remember this from way back when I was working on puters. I got
19 >> a new job when winder 3.1 came out. Anyway. If a electronic device can
20 >> survive the first couple to six months of usage, they usually last a
21 >> while from the electronic point of view. That is short of spilling your
22 >> beer in it or it getting hit by lightening or something like that. I
23 >> have two 80Gb drives right now. One is a Maxtor and the other is a
24 >> Western Digital. I bet there is a few people on this list that hate
25 >> each one because they had one that failed. I haven't had any trouble
26 >> with mine at all. They all fail eventually tho. I just hope one of
27 >> mine fails when there is nothing important on it is all. ;-)
28 >>
29 >> Still comparing all the options. I got to start looking for a good SATA
30 >> drive now. Just when I had a decent IDE drive all picked out too. LOL
33 > When you look at hard drive reviews, they tend to be either 5 stars
34 > ("Perfect! Never a problem after 10 years!") or 0 stars ("Horrible,
35 > died after 2 minutes! I got 2 more and they did the same thing!" etc).
36 > I don't think there are a lot of ways for a hard drive to go bad
37 > without it being catastrophic. Maybe bad sectors... but I consider
38 > that catastrophic because they always seem to spread like cancer. If
39 > there is one bad sector on a drive, I simply can't trust it.
40 >
41 > That being said, I've had lots of hard drives from many brands and the
42 > best combinations of price/speed/reliability I've had is Samsung. I'm
43 > using 6 of them right now and after 2+ years of 24/7 usage none has
44 > died yet. I'm sure someone here will have a horror story about a
45 > Samsung drive to add to this thread. :)
50 I saw where the drive hours was displayed a long time ago. I thought it
51 was hdparm that displayed that but I can't find it in the man page and
52 -I doesn't seem to show that. Can someone tell me if there is a way to
53 get how many hours a drive has been running? I know I saw this before
54 but no clue where it was.
55
56 Dale
57