From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 01:09:13
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> On 09/24/2009 12:29 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> USB. There is another idea. Ooops, out of USB plugs too. Crap, I
6 >>> can't put in a drive without buying something to plug it into. LOL I
7 >>> do have USB 2.0 on here. I have to have 2.0 for the printer but my
8 >>> camera has to have 1.0. Weird I know.
9 >>
10 >> There are so many interesting posts in this thread I don't know which
11 >> one to reply to :o) Just FYI, USB 3 has just been ratified, so we can
12 >> expect ultra-fast USB-3 drives in the (near?) future, which should be as
13 >> fast or faster than SATA-II.
14 >>
15 >> The point I really want to make is regarding your question about which
16 >> disk drive to buy. I have drives from three different manufacturers at
17 >> the moment, and they are all superb and incredibly cheap -- but that low
18 >> cost comes at a price (does that make any sense?).
19 >>
20 >> I've had to return two drives in the last three years or so because of
21 >> catastrophic failure while still under warranty (amazing!). In both
22 >> cases the replacement drives have been absolutely perfect for years now.
23 >>
24 >> In other words, disk manufacturers have apparently decided to abandon
25 >> strict quality control in favor of low price, and seem happy to replace
26 >> failed drives as a substitute for quality control. It must be a
27 >> profitable
28 >> strategy because they all seem to be doing it. But be prepared for drive
29 >> failures from *every* manufacturer -- and then buy whatever is on sale
30 >> for
31 >> the lowest price.
36 > One thing I have noticed about hard drives in my experience. When you
37 > plug that puppy in and power it up, let it run for a good long while.
38 > Overnight is good, a few days is even better, a week or more is even
39 > better still from the mechanical point of view. I remember this from
40 > when I rebuilt my Moms old motor in her car years ago. It said in the
41 > book and from several mechanics, once you crank it, run it for at least
42 > 30 minutes and at different rpms. The longer the better. It should get
43 > to its normal temperature before even thinking about cutting it off. Do
44 > NOT cut the engine off unless it is really serious. The first few
45 > minutes that a motor runs is crucial. If you start it and just run it a
46 > couple minutes, it won't ever be the same. I was also told that driving
47 > it is really good.
48 >
49 > I also remember this from way back when I was working on puters. I got
50 > a new job when winder 3.1 came out. Anyway. If a electronic device can
51 > survive the first couple to six months of usage, they usually last a
52 > while from the electronic point of view. That is short of spilling your
53 > beer in it or it getting hit by lightening or something like that. I
54 > have two 80Gb drives right now. One is a Maxtor and the other is a
55 > Western Digital. I bet there is a few people on this list that hate
56 > each one because they had one that failed. I haven't had any trouble
57 > with mine at all. They all fail eventually tho. I just hope one of
58 > mine fails when there is nothing important on it is all. ;-)
59 >
60 > Still comparing all the options. I got to start looking for a good SATA
61 > drive now. Just when I had a decent IDE drive all picked out too. LOL
62
63 When you look at hard drive reviews, they tend to be either 5 stars
64 ("Perfect! Never a problem after 10 years!") or 0 stars ("Horrible,
65 died after 2 minutes! I got 2 more and they did the same thing!" etc).
66 I don't think there are a lot of ways for a hard drive to go bad
67 without it being catastrophic. Maybe bad sectors... but I consider
68 that catastrophic because they always seem to spread like cancer. If
69 there is one bad sector on a drive, I simply can't trust it.
70
71 That being said, I've had lots of hard drives from many brands and the
72 best combinations of price/speed/reliability I've had is Samsung. I'm
73 using 6 of them right now and after 2+ years of 24/7 usage none has
74 died yet. I'm sure someone here will have a horror story about a
75 Samsung drive to add to this thread. :)