From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 00:31:24
1 On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Tuesday 28 August 2012 21:57:43 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> I wrote:
5 >> > Well, all I can do now is to get a new board and see if things will
6 >> > be okay then.
7 >> [...]
8 >> So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it
9 >> might be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC
10 >> shop diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they
11 >> confirmed it was the board indeed, not the CPU.
12 >
13 > Let me get this straight. The shop ran tests and concluded that the
14 > motherboard was faulty, not the CPU?
15 >
16 >> Fine, I bought the board
17 >
18 > ...it having been tested and found faulty!
19 >
20 >> guess what - it doesn't work.
21 >
22 > Sorry, but I must be misreading this. You've said that the board was
23 > diagnosed faulty, but you bought it anyway and it turned out faulty.
24 > Where is the mystery?
25
26 The test would have been done on his old board, which the shop
27 diagnosed to be faulty. Having had that diagnosed, he proceeded to buy
28 a new board, which also failed.
31 > Is this a problem with the English language? I thought I knew it inside-
32 > out, upside-down and back-to-front. I still think so. Yet your account
33 > has you tying yourself in knots over a known fault.
34
35 Too many uses of the insufficiently-explicit "the board"...but (in
36 English) such ambiguities are usually resolved by surrounding context.
39 :wq