From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:07:29
1 Grant wrote:
2 > Gentoo's foundation is great. I can't think of any major changes that
3 > should to happen to it. But Gentoo is at this point *only* a
4 > foundation. It needs more (removable) layers. FreeBSD created extra
5 > layers on its own foundation and called the result PC-BSD which is
6 > aimed at the make-it-easy crowd. PC-BSD is gaining momentum quickly
7 > and that will benefit FreeBSD greatly. I repeat, that will benefit
8 > FreeBSD greatly. That's exactly the kind of thing Gentoo should be
9 > doing. Removable layers for ease of use, removable layers for server
10 > deployment, removable layers for anything and everything. That's
11 > moving forward.
12
13 In regards to BSD, it died the day Linux 2.4 was released. I deal with
14 it on a daily basis as an admin and take great joy at plotting its total
15 replacement with Linux, any Linux.
16
17 It's good to see BSD getting off it's insular and inbred ass and doing
18 something like PC-BSD. I'm sure it'll be successful in keeping the
19 faithful from having to run Linux on their desktops, but I don't see it
20 pulling many newer users in when you can run Ubuntu, Gentoo, or half a
21 dozen other systems. However I'm extra grumpy today and the retarded
22 legacy BSD4 servers are responsible. Maybe PC-BSD is more interesting
23 than doing things Linux distros have been doing since they began. Is it?
24
25 kashani
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list