From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:40:20
1 > > Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
2 > > at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
3 > > things being improved as quickly as possible. FreeBSD is supposed to
4 > > be the closest relation, but even that won't do. I don't think there
5 > > is anything as satisfying as Gentoo out there. The concept is second
6 > > to none, the execution of that concept is fantastic, but it needs to
7 > > keep moving forward. What is the next step? Or should we keep
8 > > treading water?
9 >
10 > Is this a continuation?
11 > http://groups.google.de/group/linux.gentoo.user/browse_thread/thread/cc31581cbfa4d0e2/a0b4a5d52f0bc112
12
13 Yeah, it's me again.
14
15 > Otherwise, I'm interested in what your definition of "forward" is.
16
17 How about anything? More than nothing.
18
19 > In that regard, I'm conservative: The core of Gentoo for me is to
20 > provide an environment for me to get productive. My demands are
21 > sometimes specific, thus Gentoo suits fine. Personally, I don't have
22 > much interest in any major changes regarding Gentoo.
23
24 Gentoo's foundation is great. I can't think of any major changes that
25 should to happen to it. But Gentoo is at this point *only* a
26 foundation. It needs more (removable) layers. FreeBSD created extra
27 layers on its own foundation and called the result PC-BSD which is
28 aimed at the make-it-easy crowd. PC-BSD is gaining momentum quickly
29 and that will benefit FreeBSD greatly. I repeat, that will benefit
30 FreeBSD greatly. That's exactly the kind of thing Gentoo should be
31 doing. Removable layers for ease of use, removable layers for server
32 deployment, removable layers for anything and everything. That's
33 moving forward.
34
35 - Grant
36 --