From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo Rules
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:19:44
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > > Otherwise, I'm interested in what your definition of "forward" is.
4
5 > How about anything? More than nothing.
8 I'd agree with this. I think gentoo is having growing pains in directions
9 the (gentoo) pundits are not really interested in. Take for example JAVA.
10
11 IMHO java going open source is the biggest thing to hit linux for some time
12 now. Eclipse is the defacto development environment of the future
13 for many, many things. Sure as an old timer, I can use the CLI
14 pretty well, but Eclipse Europa (3.3) has been out for a while
15 and yet, nothing in Gentoo.
18 I stumbled across a bug where they devs are thinking about deprecating
19 JFFNMS becuse it is broken. JFFNMS is the best network management package
20 available to opensource (period), yet it tumbles from dev to dev to
21 obscurity?
22
23 I offered to take over the maintenance of the package and web installation
24 page, and was turned down (probable by some punk under the age of 20)....
27 As a 47 year old computer scientist, this the what turns off so many people
28 form helping gentoo......
29
30 That said, if you have the stomach, becoming a dev or taking care of
31 just a few niche packages would go a long way to improving gentoo.
32
33 (btw) I have figured out the trivial things with jffnms and the install
34 doc and play to just build an overlay and maintain my own how to page.
35 I'm tired of the snotty attitude of some the the devs. They ask everyone
36 to participate in bugday, but refuse to let somebody manage a package
37 they want to deprecate....?
40 stupid, real stupid.
41
42 that is exactly what kills gentoo, imho.
45 James
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list