From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving the portage tree to /var
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 08:56:15
1 On Saturday 25 October 2014 12:45:05 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/25/2014 09:57 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 > > On 10/7/2014 6:03 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On Tuesday 07 Oct 2014 22:56:28 Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > >>> Quite the opposite. Ideally, you should remove the PORTDIR setting
6 > >>> from make.conf. repos.conf is the newer, more flexible way to
7 > >>> configure it.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Unfortunately, that will break some of the third-party portage tools
10 > >>> which parse make.conf directly.
11 > >>
12 > >> <Scratches head> ... so are we supposed to guess this, wait for a news
13 > >> article somewhere, or will it show up in an emerge log somewhere?
14 > >
15 > > So... would appreciate a response from someone who knows.
16 > >
17 > > I really dislike making systemic changes like this without really solid
18 > > guidance on how (and hopefully the why too)...
19 >
20 > I'm only guessing, but I don't think PORTDIR is going away for a while.
21 > Eventually, portage will probably begin to warn you if you have PORTDIR
22 > set in your make.conf, and will tell you to move your settings to
23 > repos.conf (with a pointer to the man page or wiki). That'll stick
24 > around for another while. Then, you'll get a news item telling you that
25 > PORTDIR is going away in a month or so.
26 >
27 > Finally, your shit will stop working and that's your final warning =)
28 >
29 > More realistically, the portage upgrade might die or ewarn loudly if you
30 > still have PORTDIR set.
31
32 Never mind PORTDIR; it would have been considerate to give a hint that the new
33 repos.conf directory had been introduced, and what it portended.
36 Rgds
37 Peter