From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inhouse email
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:03:07
1 On Monday 24 October 2005 10:37, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:29 -0400, Mark wrote:
3 > > Can anyone who has done it comment on the downside (if any) of
4 > > bringing email in-house, as opposed to continuing to pay a hosting
5 > > provider? My plan is to have a separate server, sitting by itself in
6 > > the DMZ, so the internal LAN should remain relatively safe. The DSL
7 > > provider we use will host the DNS records (MX). We have a top-notch
8 > > firewall already in place, but this is the first step we've taken
9 > > toward making anything available inbound, so I'm cautiously
10 > > optimistic.
11 > >
12 > > --
13 > > Mark
14 > > [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]
15 >
16 > I have an in-house mail server. In my experience, the only problem I
17 > have with it is when our cable Internet goes out. I pay $99USD a month
18 > for cable Internet with a static IP and the cable usually goes out for a
19 > couple of hours on the weekends (grrr). Other than that I haven't
20 > really had any problems with it...
21 this might be a little off-topic, but zoneedit.com will provide a
22 store-and-forward backup mx for like $10/year. That's what I use.
23 --
24 John Jolet
25 Your On-Demand IT Department
26 512-762-0729