From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:28:58
1 On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:40:57 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> He isn't the first to make that observation. Many have pointed out
5 >> that the testing branch today seems a lot like stable Gentoo used to
6 >> be, and that we err too much on the side of not making big changes.
7 >>
8 >> However, I'm not sure that we really are afraid of breaking things so
9 >> much that many of us have just grown comfortable with the way things
10 >> have been done.
11 >
12 > Also, in openrc Gentoo has an init system that is superior to those used
13 > by other distros pre-systemd. Openrc has some of the benefits that
14 > systemd offers other distros, like dependencies, so there is somewhat
15 > less incentive to change.
18 I definitely agree here.
19
20 We actually went through an rc change when we deployed openrc, and it
21 worked fine. There were bugs not unlike what some run into with
22 systemd - anytime you replace something old with something new you get
23 regressions. We also really too our time with the switchover, which
24 is something most distros don't seem to be doing with systemd (to
25 their users's detriment - I think burning bridges gets encouraged by
26 the politics to prevent backtracking). I think it took years between
27 the ~arch and stable dates for baselayout-2 on Gentoo.
30 Rich