From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:03:26
1 On 2015-01-17, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:40:57 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> He isn't the first to make that observation. Many have pointed out
6 >>> that the testing branch today seems a lot like stable Gentoo used to
7 >>> be, and that we err too much on the side of not making big changes.
8 >>>
9 >>> However, I'm not sure that we really are afraid of breaking things so
10 >>> much that many of us have just grown comfortable with the way things
11 >>> have been done.
12 >>
13 >> Also, in openrc Gentoo has an init system that is superior to those used
14 >> by other distros pre-systemd. Openrc has some of the benefits that
15 >> systemd offers other distros, like dependencies, so there is somewhat
16 >> less incentive to change.
19 > I definitely agree here.
20 >
21 > We actually went through an rc change when we deployed openrc, and it
22 > worked fine.
23
24 Looking back on the timeline, I see that I went through that change
25 with a few systems. I have absolutely no memory of it happening.
26
27 _That_ my friends is how it's supposed to work. Kudos to everybody
28 involved.
29
30 [And it's not because I have a bad memory, I still have vivid memories
31 of upgrades from RH 6.0 to RH 7.0 back in 2000 -- I'm talking about
32 the original RedHat Linux, not RHEL.]
35 Grant