From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:35:07
1 On 7/5/07, Paul Waring <paul@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:40:10PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > emerge is along the same lines. "make menuconfig" is the limits of my
4 > > expertise. I remember "RPM hell" with Redhat linux, trying to find an
5 > > RPM package for a program I wanted, where the developer hadn't linked it
6 > > against a bunch of stuff I didn't have. I can take a text-only basic
7 > > system, "emerge gimp", and emerge will pull in and build, in the right
8 > > order, all the necessary X libraries, GTK, etc, etc. I end up with a
9 > > functional TWM "desktop". "emerge bbkeys" emerges blackbox
10 > > key-controls... after first emerging blackbox. Try doing that with
11 > > RPMs.
12 >
13 > What makes you think that you can't do that with RPMs now? Seven years
14 > ago they were a nightmare but things have moved on since then. The same
15 > goes for deb files (can't think of any other major ones off the top of
16 > my head).
17 >
18 > Paul
19 > --
20 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
24 * Binary Dependency
25 * No USE
26 * Binary Dependency Breaks = No solution other than choose which of
27 the 2 programs you want to lose.
28 * Forceful ignorance of binary dependencies triggers stupid stuff like
29 spontaneous removal of all of libc.
30
31 ( i think thats the sort of headaches he was referring to with rpm-hell )
32
33 Conclusion on binary based distros:
34 wait for upstream to fix.
35 Conclusion on source based distros:
36 you can fix it yourself, and today.
37
38 I'd rather be able to have breakages I can work around ;)
39
40 So not only is gentoo healthy, imo, its a very healthy test-bed for
41 the whole world of OSS.
44 Kent
45 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
46 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list