From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wicd will not connect to wireless network
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:00:37
1 On 26 February 2012 17:00, Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 26 February 2012 13.43:13 Dan Johansson wrote:
3 >> On Sunday 26 February 2012 10.52:58 Willie WY Wong wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > You guys are almost certainly running into the same problem as the one
6 >> > I mentioned in the thread I just started.
7 >> >
8 >> > Try `pkill dhcpcd` and associate again.
9 >> >
10 >> > Unfortunately I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden dhcpcd decides
11 >> > to start on boot.
12 >>
13 >> Yes, that was it, killing the dhcpcd made it possible to bring the interface up and associate with the AP.
14 >> As openrc was one of the packages upgraded yesterday (0.9.8.4 -> 0.9.9.1) I assume (guess) that is why dhcpcd gets started at boot.
15 >> Now I just have to figure out a way to stop this from happening.
16 >
17 > The problems seems to be that dhcpcd was started automatically as soon as a service needed "the network" - in my case dhcpcd was started due to /etc/init.d/sshd.
18 > At the moment I have solved it with putting "rc_dhcpcd_provide="!net"" in /etc/rc.conf
19 > which prevents dhcpcd to start when sshd is started and wicd can now do it's magic.
20
21 Ah, I could really have done with this thread earlier, but gmail had
22 decided that it was spam :-/
23
24 What is strange is that it seems to work for some networks, but not
25 for others, and I can't figure out how to predict on which dhcpd with
26 succeed and on which it will not.
27
28 I have access to three APs here (each with different SSIDs), and I can
29 only connect to one of them; the other two have the dhcp failure. Very
30 strange.