From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 14:26:23
1 On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 02:40:04PM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
2 >
3 > Apparently, "utf8" is the canonical representation in glibc (which
4 > provides the locale tool):
5 >
6 > http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2004/12/msg00028.html
7 >
8 > That eselect enumerates the locale twice when the alternate form is
9 > specified in /etc/env.d/02locale could be considered as a minor bug.
10 >
11 > --Kerin
12
13 RFC 3629 does not mention utf8, but I did see this notation in Wikipedia, and
14 yes, I understand that's not official:
15
16 Other descriptions that omit the hyphen or replace it with a space, such as
17 "utf8" or "UTF 8", are not accepted as correct by the governing standards.[14]
18 Despite this, most agents such as browsers can understand them, and so
19 standards intended to describe existing practice (such as HTML5) may
20 effectively require their recognition.
21
22 [14] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3629.txt
23
24 I was only mildly curious seeing utf8 show up, because on numberous occasions
25 in #gentoo on FreeNode there have been different reports of incorrect
26 characters displayed with utf8, then fixed with UTF-8. Having read RFC 3629, I
27 just made it a habit to always use the standard (UTF-8).
28
29 Having read the remainder of the Debian ML thread you referenced, I have a
30 headache. Debian did that to me when I used it for ~3 months in 2003. :-)
31
32 Cheers,
33 Bruce
34 --
35 Happy Penguin Computers >')
36 126 Fenco Drive ( \
37 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
39 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
40 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
41
42 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
43 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
44 A: Top-posting.
45 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
46
47 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting