From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:04:10
1 Nick Rout wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:20:36 -0500
3 > Derek Tracy wrote:
6 >>Part way through the online handbook I noticed that
7 >>they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
8 >>thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot.
11 > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
12 > handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1 handbook
13 > stuck to stage 3. (Talking x86 here, I have never done an instal on
14 > other architectures).
15 >
16 > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
17 >
18 > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a stage1 or stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
19 >
20 > WTF? When did this happen?
23 The archived thread from the gentoo-releng list:
24
25 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.releng/333
26
27 Note that it's not terribly difficult to use catalyst to build a stage1 from a stage3:
28
29 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/2.x/reference.xml
30
31 Zac