From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 13:07:06
1 On Friday 01 January 2016 11:47:16 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 Jan 2016 10:41:40 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday 01 January 2016 10:26:05 Mick wrote:
4 > > > ... my kmail2 still seems to be functioning properly and without any
5 > > > major problems so far. :-)
6 > >
7 > > What, not even duplicates? I'm still getting a dozen a day.
8 >
9 > Hi Peter,
10 >
11 > I think your problem with duplicates is specific to the Kmail2's POP3
12 > implementation.
13
14 That does seem likely, yes.
15
16 > I noticed this too in the early days of Kmail2, on an old
17 > PC which was having great trouble running akonadi. POP3 messages were
18 > being duplicated back then and every time I deleted any duplicates they
19 > were magically being recreated afresh. I never nailed it down to a
20 > particular cause, because the old PC could not run Kmail2 effectively for
21 > daily usage - it was being pegged at 100% of CPU most of the time,
22 > corrupting its akonadi driven mysql database as it was going along. I
23 > tried half a dozen times to perform get it running successfully, but
24 > eventually gave up in frustration of the ever propagating duplicate
25 > messages. IMAP4 was also not very reliable back then, messages in the
26 > Sent folder were not shown at all. However, this was a problem with the
27 > IMAP4 server I was using at the time and needed some change in the
28 > default IMAP4 configuration of Kmail2 to fix it. The current version of
29 > my IMAP4 servers seem to work fine with Kmail2.
30
31 My ISP doesn't offer IMAP, and in any case I'd rather have my e-mails under
32 my own control.
33
34 > I can confirm at present I am not having any duplicate messages showing up
35 > with IMAP4 on 3 different PCs, with multiple email accounts, either with
36 > embedded mysql or on my most recent installation with a stand alone
37 > postgresql. I can also confirm that on my laptop even gkrellms is using
38 > more CPU (0.7%) than Kmail2 (0.3%), just as I am writing this email. :-)
39
40 No great load here either. I'd be worried if there were, though.
41
42 > I recall from a previous thread that you tried different things to resolve
43 > the duplicate messages problem, including creating a new Kmail account
44 > and starting afresh. I don't know how much basic troubleshooting you may
45 > have done. On the client side, did you try running a new stand alone
46 > database (not embedded in akonadi) in case this is a database problem?
47 >
48 > Also, did you try a different POP3 mail account, from a different provider
49 > to check this is not server specific?
50 >
51 > Otherwise, it may be some error incurred during the 'message-number'
52 > exchange between your mailserver and the Kmail2 POP3 client, or how these
53 > message- numbers are stored/refreshed by akonadi. You could try
54 > troubleshooting POP3 packet exchanges with the server using wireshark to
55 > see what flies on the wire, then doing some open heart surgery on the
56 > mysql tables to find out what is the matter with the 'message-number'
57 > stored/used by akonadi. The aconadiconsole may be useful for this
58 > purpose, or good ol' mysql commands on a terminal.
59
60 Thanks for your thoughts Mick. I think most of my problems have persisted
61 through many iterations from the early days of KMail-2. At any rate, I've
62 just deleted the whole KMail structure once more and reimported from archive
63 and so far I've no duplicates. I used to get duplicates in certain folders
64 even from the import process.
65
66 I followed the instructions here, about two-thirds down the page:
67
68 https://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Get_more_screen_space_in_KMail
69
70 Yes, really! I'd better submit a bug report to get that text moved to
71 somewhere more suitable.
74 Rgds
75 Peter