From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail2 - I have not given up ... yet
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 11:47:40
1 On Friday 01 Jan 2016 10:41:40 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 January 2016 10:26:05 Mick wrote:
3 > > ... my kmail2 still seems to be functioning properly and without any major
4 > > problems so far. :-)
5 >
6 > What, not even duplicates? I'm still getting a dozen a day.
7
8 Hi Peter,
9
10 I think your problem with duplicates is specific to the Kmail2's POP3
11 implementation. I noticed this too in the early days of Kmail2, on an old PC
12 which was having great trouble running akonadi. POP3 messages were being
13 duplicated back then and every time I deleted any duplicates they were
14 magically being recreated afresh. I never nailed it down to a particular
15 cause, because the old PC could not run Kmail2 effectively for daily usage - it
16 was being pegged at 100% of CPU most of the time, corrupting its akonadi
17 driven mysql database as it was going along. I tried half a dozen times to
18 perform get it running successfully, but eventually gave up in frustration of
19 the ever propagating duplicate messages. IMAP4 was also not very reliable
20 back then, messages in the Sent folder were not shown at all. However, this
21 was a problem with the IMAP4 server I was using at the time and needed some
22 change in the default IMAP4 configuration of Kmail2 to fix it. The current
23 version of my IMAP4 servers seem to work fine with Kmail2.
24
25 I can confirm at present I am not having any duplicate messages showing up with
26 IMAP4 on 3 different PCs, with multiple email accounts, either with embedded
27 mysql or on my most recent installation with a stand alone postgresql. I can
28 also confirm that on my laptop even gkrellms is using more CPU (0.7%) than
29 Kmail2 (0.3%), just as I am writing this email. :-)
30
31 I recall from a previous thread that you tried different things to resolve the
32 duplicate messages problem, including creating a new Kmail account and
33 starting afresh. I don't know how much basic troubleshooting you may have
34 done. On the client side, did you try running a new stand alone database (not
35 embedded in akonadi) in case this is a database problem?
36
37 Also, did you try a different POP3 mail account, from a different provider to
38 check this is not server specific?
39
40 Otherwise, it may be some error incurred during the 'message-number' exchange
41 between your mailserver and the Kmail2 POP3 client, or how these message-
42 numbers are stored/refreshed by akonadi. You could try troubleshooting POP3
43 packet exchanges with the server using wireshark to see what flies on the wire,
44 then doing some open heart surgery on the mysql tables to find out what is the
45 matter with the 'message-number' stored/used by akonadi. The aconadiconsole
46 may be useful for this purpose, or good ol' mysql commands on a terminal.
49 Regards,
50 Mick