From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: No audio while playing HTML5-video (YouTube)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:15:53
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> [16-01-11 18:20]:
2 >
3 > > On Mon, 11 January 2016, at 3:02 p.m., meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >
5 > > When starting Firefox with a clean new Profile with no
6 > > Addon.s added, it is possible to /watch/ (watch != hear)
7 > > a HTML5 video played from the YouTube site. But there is
8 > > nothing to hear...
9 > >
10 > > The audio system of my Gentoo Box seems ok, since playing
11 > > a video with mpv from the commandline let me watch
12 > > and hear it.
13 > >
14 > > The YouTube-Page, which checks Firefox for the availability of
15 > > HTML5 video cpapabilities says "OK! GO!"
16 >
17 > Do these things work:
18 >
19 > 1. Other audio in your browser (e.g. Vocaroo, SoundCloud &c.)
20 >
21 > 2. Other HTML5 video sites. (I don't know which are HTML5 and which are flash, these days, so I'd try Vimeo, the BBC, newspapers sites, Pornhub, Redtube).
22 >
23 > Just to be clear: are you sure it's HTML5 video you're watching on YouTube? How do you know? Is no flash player installed?
24 >
25 > Stroller.
29 Hi Stroller,
30
31 more detailed:
32 I created a new profile and added some not related addons.
33 Then I checked some settings under about:config and surfed
34 to check-page for html5 by Google/Youtube: Everything is fine.
35
36 Then I tried to watch/hear a video on YouTube:
37 WATCH: OK
38 HEAR : FAILED
39
40 dmesg shows nothing
41 the commandline, from where I started firefox shows nothing related
42 too.
43
44 A right click onto the running video shows setting for the HTML5
45 player of firefox.
46
47 Then I installed the addon "Flash for YouTube" (similiar) and started
48 the same Video: Viola!
49 WATCH: OK
50 HEAR : OK
51
52 A right click onto the running video display "Adobe Flash Player".
53
54 Other video sites:
55 VIMEO: Same situation
56 BBC: blocked because I am not in the UK
57 Pornhub, Redtube: Not tested (for obvious reasons)
58 Dailymotion: Went crazy...total confusion of the site
59 Vocaroo: not tested (privacy concerns)
60 Bandcamp: The site does not react nicely (playback does not start at
61 all)
62
63 Since the HTML5-player starts, when I disable Flash and the flash
64 format is not playable with a HTML5-player at all (I get a video
65 running ... only the sound is missing) I am quite sure, that it
66 is HTML5. The test page by Google/Youtube also states that my
67 Firefox is "HTML5 ready/capable".
68
69 Oh, how I like music videos without sound.... ;)
70
71 Best regards,
72 Meino