From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:30:07
1 On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I think my UPS is dying. Time to get a new one. It's been years, so
3 > there may be new tech out there I don't know about. My normal usage is
4 > * 1 LCD monitor 24"
5 > * 1 (sometimes 2) "desktop" PCs connected to the monitor
6 > * 1 ADSL router/modem
7 >
8 > What brand and VA rating would people recommend. The stuff I'm
9 > concerned about is the 2 or 3 times a year I get power flickers, or a
10 > short outage. And also, if power is out for more than 5 minutes, and
11 > the battery is running low, I want the PC to be able to sense that and
12 > execute /usr/sbin/hibernate
13
14 I personally have a Cyberpower 1350VA (with fancy LED display to show
15 current load, estimated time remaining, etc.). It is supported by NUT
16 in linux so my box can do a clean shutdown when the UPS battery is
17 running low. Running my big PC (with 7 HDDs RAID) it gives me around
18 30 to 45 minutes of life on battery before the shutdown kicks in. My
19 power outages at my house are generally either <5 seconds, or
20 hours/days with nothing in-between. :)