From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any UPS recommendations?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:34:39
1 On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> I think my UPS is dying. Time to get a new one. It's been years, so
5 >> there may be new tech out there I don't know about. My normal usage is
6 >> * 1 LCD monitor 24"
7 >> * 1 (sometimes 2) "desktop" PCs connected to the monitor
8 >> * 1 ADSL router/modem
9 >>
10 >> What brand and VA rating would people recommend. The stuff I'm
11 >> concerned about is the 2 or 3 times a year I get power flickers, or a
12 >> short outage. And also, if power is out for more than 5 minutes, and
13 >> the battery is running low, I want the PC to be able to sense that and
14 >> execute /usr/sbin/hibernate
15 >
16 > I personally have a Cyberpower 1350VA (with fancy LED display to show
17 > current load, estimated time remaining, etc.). It is supported by NUT
18 > in linux so my box can do a clean shutdown when the UPS battery is
19 > running low. Running my big PC (with 7 HDDs RAID) it gives me around
20 > 30 to 45 minutes of life on battery before the shutdown kicks in. My
21 > power outages at my house are generally either <5 seconds, or
22 > hours/days with nothing in-between. :)
23
24 I will also add I had an Ultra brand UPS before (actually made by
25 Powercom), which was extremely cheap, I'm talking about $79 shipped
26 for 1500VA UPS, and it spontaneously stopped working one day, just
27 outside of the warranty period. It was not supported by NUT, the linux
28 software required binaries instealled to /etc and also to write its
29 logs to /etc and generally did not work well anyway. I will avoid
30 Powercom/Ultra UPS in the future.
31
32 At work we use APC brand UPS and they generally seem to work very
33 well, though they tend to be quite expensive.