From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome as an X Server.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:57:52
1 Hi Kurt,
2 on Wednesday, 2006-05-17 at 11:33:30, you wrote:
3 > > Hmm, maybe cause it is NOT an X server, its a Window Manager.
4 >
5 > Right, right. I probably deserve to get spanked for not using the
6 > proper terminology.
7
8 You both do :)
9 Gnome is a desktop environment that comes with a window manager
10 (currently Metacity IIRC, used to be Sawfish) but can be used with a
11 number of other window managers as well.
12
13 > Anyway, I'd like to pop X windows on my desktop. I have gnome setup
14 > (including gdm), everything is working fine, except that I don't have X
15 > configured to use an external port such that I can "xhost +servername"
16 > and pop a window on my desktop.
17
18 ssh has been suggested, and I second that. Much better than xhost 'n
19 stuff.
20
21 cheers!
22 Matthias
23 --
24 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
25 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665