From: Kurt Guenther <kurtg@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome as an X Server.
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:57:17
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 5/17/06, Kurt Guenther <kurtg@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I updated to the latest gnome:
5 >>
6 >> gnome-base/gnome-2.14.1
7 >>
8 >> but, now, I can't seem to get gnome to act as an X server. This was
9 >> previously done in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf by adding:
12 > Hmm, maybe cause it is NOT an X server, its a Window Manager.
15 Right, right. I probably deserve to get spanked for not using the
16 proper terminology.
17
18 Anyway, I'd like to pop X windows on my desktop. I have gnome setup
19 (including gdm), everything is working fine, except that I don't have X
20 configured to use an external port such that I can "xhost +servername"
21 and pop a window on my desktop.
22
23 Previously, this was done via gdm.conf and I've been doing this for
24 years this way and if you look in:
25
26 /usr/share/*gdm*/defaults.*conf*
27
28 you'll see the potential settings.
29
30 --Kurt
37 >> [security]
38 >> DisallowTCP=false
39 >> RelaxPermissions=2
40 >
41 > This certainly has NOTHING to do with your problem. You seem to want
42 > GDM as your login manager, wich is understandable. Maybe Gnome
43 > installation changed some config files and you carelessly ran
44 > etc-update.
45
46 gdm is my login manager.
54 >> However, gdm.conf was renamed to custom.conf, and the values don't seem
55 >> to work anymore.
56 >
57 > Are you getting GDM as your login manager when you run /etc/init.d/xdm
58 > start? If not, that's because your /etc/rc.conf has different
59 > settings. Check it, it should look like:
60 >
61 > DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
62 > XSESSION="gnome"
68 >> Any ideas?
71 > Yeah, you need to read some man pages about what is the X server, what
72 > are Login Managers and Window Managers and how you configure them in
73 > Gentoo. I recommend:
74 >
75 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
76 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml