From: Matt Connell <matt@×××××××.tech>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:28:00
1 On Sun, 2022-08-14 at 21:42 -0400, Julien Roy wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On 8/14/22 18:44, Dale wrote:
5 > > Thoughts?  Ideas?
6 >
7 > You might be interested in borgbackup [1]
8 > It takes delta backups and has de-duplication and compression to save
9 > some space. It supports encryption too.
10 > It's packaged in ::gentoo and you run it on whatever machine you want to
11 > backup and give it its destination, it can be local or on a remote machine.
12
13 Seconding borg.  Once I switched to this, I never have to touch the
14 backup process.  I wrote a little handful of shell scripts as wrappers
15 around borg backup/restore/list and they've been running seamlessly for
16 years, both locally and off-site.