From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Git change logs
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:17:28
1 On Monday, 29 November 2021 16:03:25 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 5:39 AM tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > If you want the history for a file, you need to specify the full path:
4 > >
5 > > git log sys-devel/gcc/gcc-11.2.1_p20211127.ebuild
6 >
7 > You can also point it at a directory and get changes for the entire
8 > directory. I also suggest trying "git whatchanged" as an alternative
9 > to "git log."
10
11 I didn't know about whatchanged. I tried it like this and got 120k lines of
12 output:
13
14 # (cd /var/db/repos/gentoo/sys-devel/gcc && git whatchanged)
15
16 I've always found git counter-intuitive and I've resisted trying to understand
17 it, so far. Maybe I should make a little more effort.
18
19 > I'm guessing you could get git log to display the same
20 > info but I find whatchanged to be more useful, at least for
21 > directories. There wouldn't be much point in running it on a single
22 > file since the main benefit is showing what files changed in each
23 > commit.
24 >
25 > Keep in mind that git knows nothing about gentoo package atoms/syntax.
26 > It just sees a directory tree and files...
27
28 Yes, I did know that.
31 Regards,
32 Peter.