From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:57:12
1 On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > It's actually a great thing for a lot of use cases. But it doesn't
3 > seem that Gentoo will change defaults soon, although systemd works
4 > great with it.
7 My (personal) sense is that in the medium-term we may end up moving to
8 not having any default at all, just as with bootloaders, kernels,
9 syslog, crontab, mail, etc. That is pretty-much the Gentoo way
10 everywhere else when there are options.
11
12 As you already pointed out, as long as somebody cares to maintain
13 openrc and write init scripts for it, there will be support for it.
14 Many init scripts and systemd units are contributed by outside users
15 already, and policy is that maintainers cannot block them from being
16 added to packages (though they do not have to write/maintain them
17 personally).
18
19 Gentoo doesn't really tend to exclude anything, and inclusion is a
20 matter of whether somebody wants to put in the work.
23 Rich