From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nasty bugs in portage?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:25:21
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 14:37 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > > When I returned home from work I found in the logs, that ``emerge
3 > > --emptytree system'' failed at package 28 of 186
4 > >
5 > > python-fcksum-1.7.1
6 > > i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ....bla...bla
7 > > ^
8 > > |
9 > > +- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10 > >
11 > > gcc-config error:
12 > > could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
13 >
14 > My guess is that during the -emptytree system emergence that gcc was built
15 > to target your system.
16 >
17 > Sometimes when this happens the internal build system gets a little confused
18 > when it is time to switch over, but this is easily resolved by running the
19 > fix_libtool_files.sh script in /sbin.
20 >
21 > You would need to do this when you get errors similar to that listed above.
22 >
23 > The good news is that you'll only need to do this during the beginning when
24 > the system is being built from scratch; once you're up and running you
25 > normally won't need to do this again.
26
27 I don't get You at this point. I'll have to start ''emerge --emptytree
28 system'', wait until it crashes, run ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' and run
29 ''emerge --emptytree system'' ones more, hoping that it won't crash this
30 time?
31
32 Or should I go to a second virtual console, chroot there too, wait until
33 gcc was built on the first console and run ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' from
34 there?
35
36 ''emerge system'' builds glibc, gcc, gcc-config (yes there is "Switching
37 native compiler to i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6" in the log) and then the
38 packages for which the build crashes. How can I run
39 ''fix_libtool_files.sh'' between ONE COMMAND??????
40
41 > > automake-1.25-r3
42 > > autoconf-2.58 or better is required
43 > >
44 > > Why the hell do we try to install x versions of autoconf and
45 > > automake?????
46 >
47 > Because packages have individual automake/autoconf version requirements.
48 > Each automake/autoconf is slotted, they don't take up much disk, and they're
49 > good to have around for a successful emerge.
50 >
51 > > So my presumption for the time demand of a Gentoo installation looks
52 > > like this.
53 > >
54 > > A breakage will occure every 15'th package (2 breakages during the first
55 > > 30 within 2 days).
56 >
57 > That's an analysis based upon two initial emptytree emerges. I would expect
58 > that for the 200 package estimate that you're using you will probably
59 > encounter a total of 4 breaks (I think that's what I had, it was so long
60 > ago, but there was one fix_libtool_files.sh run and a couple of changes to
61 > /etc/portage/package.keywords to enable ~x86 versions of a few packages
62 > where I needed a later version).
63 >
64 > Completing an install in 4 days will not be a problem if you have the time
65 > to check on the emerge process every now and then and resolve the minor
66 > problems that crop up.
67 >
68 > > So which distribution would you suggest me to install during less than 4
69 > > days? I'm wondering about Slackware.
70 >
71 > You can still stick with gentoo ;-)
72 >
73 > If you don't have the time to watch over the stage 1 build process, you can
74 > jump straight to a stage 3 then update packages from there.
77 Well, that's the same ads installing Fedora (within 2 hours).
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list