From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:34:15
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:17 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:48:07PM +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote
3 >> Analogy:
4 >> 99% of people aren't going to need a11y. But the whole point of
5 >> installing it by default on most desktop systems is that you can't
6 >> predict who will need it,
7 >> and _it does not harm_ (or very little harm) > to the people who don't.>
8 > [ list of pa horror anecdotes ]
9 > And a Google search turns up a lot more cases.
10 >> So your tradeoffs are:
11 >> A) no a11y unless elected by user:
12 >> - for the 1%: a11y is a pain to install
13 >
14 > How "painfull" is it to add "pulseaudio" to USE in make.conf and then
15 > emerge --changed-use world
18 So how "painful" is it to not add pulseaudio to your USE flag? You're
19 comparing a gentoo user's experience, where we willingly wade in stuff
20 to fix, to, say, an gnobuntudora user's experience, where all of this
21 is automatic and made to "just work"... I wouldn't be surprised if the
22 horror stories had to do with configuring the damned thing. It's
23 actually interesting how dated (read:solved) some of the lag issues
24 are when I _do_ google them which is revealing....
25
26 >> because the user might not even be able to see the screen (very big pain)
27 >
28 > Are you seriously arguing that a linux system will black-screen at
29 > bootup due to lack of pulseaudio?
30
31 See my previous message: no. I'm arguing that a very simplistic take
32 on "more complexity = automatic bad" is misguided.
33
34 > That is a strawman argument that avoids the question. This is *NOT*
35 > about "a few megabytes" of disk space. It's about an extra layer on top
36 > of the system, chewing up memory, slowing it down, and interacting with
37 > other software to cause problems. *THAT* is what it's about.
38
39 The "extra layer" that eats up so much memory (megabytes), slowdown
40 (megabytes!), and software bogging (more megabytes!) that it's a
41 wonder why anybody's desktop works as is. Oh wait.
42
43 YES it is entirely about a few megabytes you don't like. A few
44 megabytes that OTHER people choose to put on THEIR computers to NO
45 effect on yours. Even your sig betrays your bias.
46
47 > --
48 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
49 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
53 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
54 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
55 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none