From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:55:28
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 04:34:03PM +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote
2
3 > YES it is entirely about a few megabytes you don't like. A few
4 > megabytes that OTHER people choose to put on THEIR computers to NO
5 > effect on yours. Even your sig betrays your bias.
6
7 I don't go around telling other people what religion / politics /
8 OS libs / etc they should use. I don't really care about soft defaults
9 since I run with USE='-*". But when unnecessary stuff is made into a
10 *HARD WIRED DEOENDANCY*, I draw the line. What I fear is that if there
11 is no yelling/screaming *NOW*, then stuff like systemd/pulseaudio/dbus
12 etc will eventually become mandatory. At one point I was one of only a
13 few people on this list *NOT* using HAL. BTW, those of you who have pam
14 and dbus masked out, like me, please raise your hand.
15
16 Speaking of dbus, my latest issue is with gnumeric spreadsheet, of all
17 things. It seems that they're switching from gconf to GSettings, which
18 apparently requires dbus. See
19 https://developer.gnome.org/gio/unstable/tools.html I ran into this
20 with the latest update of gnumeric. A couple of additional menu bars
21 show up, which pushes the bottom of graphs and spreadsheets off the
22 bottom of the screen. I can hide them each time I open the spreadsheet
23 but they reappear next time I open the sheet. And while I'm at it, why
24 does gnumeric-1.12.0-r1 now require ghostscript? I am seriously
25 considering switching to openoffice.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications