From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Calm
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 17:39:05
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-04-16, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've been meaning to write such a post for some time now. Thanks for
5 >> prompting me to add my 2 cents.
6 > Same here. I switched all my "daily drivers" from Mandrake/Mandriva
7 > almost 15 years ago, and have no regrets. No more of the RPM
8 > dependancy merry-go-round that used to happen so often. I've
9 > reinstalled a couple times after major hardware upgrades (disk
10 > failure) or decisions to switch from 32 to 64 bits. But I've never
11 > needed to routinely reinstall from scratch the way I always had to
12 > with RPM-based distros (Mandriva and before that RedHat). With
13 > RPM-based distros, upgading across major numbers rarely worked. And I
14 > always ended up having to build a lot of libraries and apps from
15 > source anyway because of required library version clashes.
16 >
17 > I still have to regularly install and use RedHat/CentOS and Ubuntu in
18 > order to test apps/drivers I maintain -- and I'm always glad when I
19 > can take off the straigh-jacket and handcuffs and go back to Gentoo.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Grant
26 I started using Linux with Mandrake 9.1. After about six months of
27 dealing with the dependency problems and that pesky init thingy, I
28 starting looking for something else. The upgrades were never easy and
29 that init thingy would stop working for some reason and then I'd have to
30 reinstall again. To this day, I really have no affection for the init
31 thingy. Right now, I have three or four sets of kernels/init thingys
32 around just in case.
33
34 I've installed Mangio, replacement for Mandrake/Mandriva, and it's not
35 as bad as it once was but I wouldn't want to have to install it here.
36 I'm sure after a few upgrades, it would get ugly.
37
38 Moving to Gentoo was the best thing I ever did. I may change again one
39 day but it would require some serious screwing up.
40
41 Dale
42