From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Calm
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 16:43:25
1 On 2016-04-16, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I've been meaning to write such a post for some time now. Thanks for
4 > prompting me to add my 2 cents.
5
6 Same here. I switched all my "daily drivers" from Mandrake/Mandriva
7 almost 15 years ago, and have no regrets. No more of the RPM
8 dependancy merry-go-round that used to happen so often. I've
9 reinstalled a couple times after major hardware upgrades (disk
10 failure) or decisions to switch from 32 to 64 bits. But I've never
11 needed to routinely reinstall from scratch the way I always had to
12 with RPM-based distros (Mandriva and before that RedHat). With
13 RPM-based distros, upgading across major numbers rarely worked. And I
14 always ended up having to build a lot of libraries and apps from
15 source anyway because of required library version clashes.
16
17 I still have to regularly install and use RedHat/CentOS and Ubuntu in
18 order to test apps/drivers I maintain -- and I'm always glad when I
19 can take off the straigh-jacket and handcuffs and go back to Gentoo.
22 Grant