From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Collecting USE variables
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:13:05
1 On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:29:39PM +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote
2 > I would like to know how the current USE variables are set.
3 > I know that "emerge --info" displays a list of all of them, but it doesn't
4 > discriminate where they come from. I couldn't find clear documentation
5 > about it, but of course I may have missed something.
6 > In the same line, I find /etc/make.profile/make.defaults _very strange_.
7 > "perl"? Sure. "fortran"? Well, who knows... But "emboss"?!
8
9 Actually, "fortran" is a gcc flag that seems to have some other uses.
10 You *DO* need it. "perl" is for enabling optional perl support in
11 various programs, which I try to do without.
12
13 > I'm writing "-*" at the beginning of the USE declaration in
14 > /etc/make.conf, but I can't avoid the feeling that this may be a Bad
15 > Thing.
16
17 Actually, I do it too, and I've only been bitten twice. Here's mine.
18 It fits my equipment and my mix of applications. Your needs may be
19 different.
20
21 USE="-* 3dnow X a52 aac alsa bzip2 cdr dga dio divx4linux dri dvd dvdr dvdread encode exif ffmpeg flac fortran gb gif gtk2 imlib jpeg maildir mikmod mime mmap mmx mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl plotutils png posix quicktime readline sdl sharedmem slang sockets sse theora threads tiff truetype vcd vorbis win32codecs wmf xpm xv zlib"
22
23 Remember also /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc and
24 /etc/portage/package.use. My package.use contains...
25
26 # begin ======================
27
28 app-misc/mc -X
29 app-office/openoffice-bin java
30 app-text/xpdf motif
31 media-gfx/gimp doc
32 media-libs/win32codecs real
33 media-video/mplayer custom-cflags i8x0 real sse2 3dnowext mmxext
34 net-misc/wget ssl
35 net-nntp/slrn uudeview
36 sys-libs/glibc userlocales
37 www-client/links svga
38
39 x11-base/xorg-x11 bitmap-fonts font-server truetype-fonts type1-fonts
40
41 # If it's going to be a rescue package, it damn well better work
42 # standalone when libraries get deleted.
43 sys-apps/busybox static
44
45 # end ========================
46
47 The 2 times I've been bitten are...
48 1) xpdf *MUST* have motif support enabled. If not, the xpdf libraries
49 get built, but not the executable... oops.
50 2) wget without ssl retrieves "http://" URLs fine, but does *NOT*
51 retrieve "https://" URLs
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
55 An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
56 eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
57 and has a lower TCO, than linux.
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list