From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:27:51
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> Andrey Falko wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> When I had the symptoms you described, it turned out that my RAM
6 >>> voltage needed to be raised in the BIOS.
7 >> Hmm. My system *is* overclocked (I'm one of those "enthusiast" guys).
8 >> I'm running an E6600 that runs 2.4GHz stock at 3GHz with a good
9 >> aftermarket cooler (temps never go above 48C at full load). The CPU
10 >> is overclocked and *undervoltaged* (1.29V from its 1.35V stock). The
11 >> RAM is both underclocked (to get an FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:1) and
12 >> undervoltaged. The system has been confirmed stable though; 8 hours
13 >> Prime95 stress test with no errors, which is much more of a stress
14 >> test than any real application can pull off. It also passes memtest.
17 > I used to overclock some too until I started running folding. Folding
18 > just doesn't like overclocking. I'm not sure what prime95 does but it
19 > could still be a problem even though it passes. Just a thought.
20
21 I was running folding too (up to the point where it affected the
22 electricity bill :P) It ran with no errors. For the record, Prime puts
23 more stress then folding; it really brings the system (CPU, northbridge
24 and RAM, the GPU isn't affected) to its knees.