From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 05:40:06
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> Andrey Falko wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> When I had the symptoms you described, it turned out that my RAM
7 >>>> voltage needed to be raised in the BIOS.
8 >>> Hmm. My system *is* overclocked (I'm one of those "enthusiast" guys).
9 >>> I'm running an E6600 that runs 2.4GHz stock at 3GHz with a good
10 >>> aftermarket cooler (temps never go above 48C at full load). The CPU
11 >>> is overclocked and *undervoltaged* (1.29V from its 1.35V stock). The
12 >>> RAM is both underclocked (to get an FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:1) and
13 >>> undervoltaged. The system has been confirmed stable though; 8 hours
14 >>> Prime95 stress test with no errors, which is much more of a stress
15 >>> test than any real application can pull off. It also passes memtest.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> I used to overclock some too until I started running folding. Folding
19 >> just doesn't like overclocking. I'm not sure what prime95 does but it
20 >> could still be a problem even though it passes. Just a thought.
21 >
22 > I was running folding too (up to the point where it affected the
23 > electricity bill :P) It ran with no errors. For the record, Prime
24 > puts more stress then folding; it really brings the system (CPU,
25 > northbridge and RAM, the GPU isn't affected) to its knees.
30 If you have ran folding and it works, then I would think you are ready
31 for liftoff. From what I have read, folding is reeeeaaaaal touchy on
32 overclocking. To think I bought a mobile AMD CPU and can't overclock
33 because of folding. <sighs>
34
35 Dale
36