From: Jamie Dobbs <jamie.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Versions
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 01:49:12
1 After a year or so away from Gentoo I'm looking at setting up a server
2 machine at home with Gentoo on it.
3
4 I now see that there are more regularly released CD images to install from.
5 I take it that the 'old' install documentation covered in the Handbook at
6 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/ still applies
7
8 Sorry for the silly questions but I just want to ensure that I start up on
9 the right foot to go back to Gentoo and my Ubuntu boxes network performance
10 is atrocious and I want to move back to Gentoo and get some speed back. The
11 Gentoo box will simply be there running as a NAS sharing disk via. AFP for
12 my iMac (and some SMB for the old XBox) - so if there are any pointers on
13 how to get the best network performance from my machine that would ve
14 appreciated too. Machine is an Athlon XP3200 X2 , w 2GB memory and a PCI
15 Realtek gigabit NIC